23488Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Kataginu

  • JL Badgley
    Mar 5, 2008
      On 3/6/08, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scottc_4@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am sure that this question has been raised in the past, but I would
      > > like some help. I am looking for some paterns for proper period
      > > kataginu. I have found pictures, but no paterns or instructions about
      > > how to make them. I do not mean the later Tokugawa style with the
      > > overly large stiffened shoulders, but rather the smaller Momoyama
      > > version. Thanks.

      > look for a PDF on "Hitatare." It includes a kataginu pattern that
      > should suit you.
      >
      > Saionji no Hanae
      > West Kingdom

      To elaborate a little more: the kataginu is basically a hitatare
      without sleeves. It is one large rectangle at the back, and two thin
      rectangles hanging down the front. One of the easiest garments to
      make (not sure why I haven't made more... hmmm). If you want to get
      really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
      slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
      monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.

      Oh, and if you are going to put a design on the back, make sure you
      measure where it will fall so it doesn't hide behind your koshi-himo
      of your hakama! (Oops :0)