      From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2008 12:46:40 AM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Rites of spring, Hana Matsura

      Noble Cousins!

      Greetings from Solveig! The problem with fan dances is that I
      believe that they originated in burlesque houses in the United States.
      Fans are used in a variety of Japanese dances. The problem is that
      the ones which I know are not appropriate for performing during
      a feast. However, there are comic dances which were performed during
      picnic like activities. One possibility for during a banquet
      is based on Oda Nobunaga being fond of performing Kowakamai. These
      can easily involve fans. Basically, all you have to do is walk,
      stomp, and pose while someone else recites some martial narrative or
      other or possibly something else appropriate for the season.
      I have a book in English about Kowakamai and I have a book in
      Japanese of Kowakamai texts. Incidentally, the Midrealm schedule
      does not currently link to your event web page. Your baronial web
      page only links to the Midrealm schedule.