23150Re: [SCA-JML] Greetings and kamon assistance request

    Dec 1, 2007

      > I have a client that is trying to register a kamon that includes an
      > arrow notch, the flights and lower shaft of an arrow. I have uploaded
      > a picture of the kamon into the files section as "LlywusMon.gif".
      >
      > This submission was returned and one of the reasons was lack of
      > evidence the the arrow notch was a period mon. It is my hope that one
      > or more of your members can provide me with evidence to the contrary,
      > or at least provide resources that we can check to document this mon
      > as being from period.

      Actually, my criticism of this design is that combines design elements
      which are unlikely to be combined in Japanese. Also, it is much more
      likely to see two arrow of the fletch ends rather than just one.
      Finally,
      the while an enclosing anulus does occasionally appear in early kamon,
      they are much more typical of Edo period and later kamon.

      You may want to take a look at the followign web page:

      http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/kibutsu/ya.htm

      The best book that I know of in U.S. libraries is a book called
      "Daibukan" which is available in some research libraries. It
      is arranged chronologically. I'll try to remember to look up
      fletches tomorrow.