2280"No means no" - think i've got it

  • lynnx@enteract.com
    Dec 3, 2000
      First...Thank all of you folks for helping me with this.
      You have no end of patience!

      and now, for Something Completely Different (well o.k. only
      a *little* different:-P

      I think it was Effingham who said "baka", "baka-mono" and
      "baka-yaro" were sort of an outdated convention used in
      soaps or melodrama... I've been told that "baka" is "fool"
      or "idiot", and also that sticking "yaro" (not in my
      dictionary) is The Worst. Could someone please tell me what
      "baka" and "yaro" actually mean for when the auth. police
      start in;->

      (Offlist, if i just said the equivalent of "Mommy what does
      "f***" mean?" :-)

      > Don't you mean muko (over there) instead of muyo (useless)?

      Nope, don't think so - all of the titles in the Engl. are
      translated (it's a bunch of 'toons) into No Need for
      ___________

      So... nouns (and adjectives) don't always change with their
      use in the sentence? Like: In one sentence I could be
      talking about "my useless" ("uselessness" is the *subject*)
      and in the next be saying "that useless princess over there"
      - ("useless" is the *adjective*, "princess" is the subject)
      - "muyo" wouldn't change form at all? (Sounds convenient
      ;-)

      > It breaks down a little for an English brain when you start thinking of
      > "Fukushima's Jiro," but you get the idea.

      My brain's already broke down ;-> What/Who is "Jiro"?

      > > you can answer an informal question like "which car" with
      > > something like "blue's," to mean "the blue one.")

      I can get this i think - i've heard it used a lot when a
      (usually clinical) "professional" doesn't think anyone's
      around. Can't seem to dig up examples but it reminds me
      somehow of chopping the person's head off and thinking of
      them as their conditions, not people. (of course there's
      plenty of examples we're so used to we don't even notice
      it).

      > It seems to follow the general linguistic trend of most Japanese
      > compounds; the first sound of the second word/character is usually
      > voiced. So you have words like:
      >
      > kami : paper
      >
      > te-gami : letter; the second kanji is the same as the 'kami' for
      > paper above.

      ...hakama (street length) becomes ko-bakama when shorter...
      Like our hard and soft consonants, but different
      combinations.

      > > Not sure if '-dono' is applied the same, but that's what appears
      > > to be happening here, ne?
      >
      > In a way, that's pretty much it.

      Thanks again all you folks.

      ISTTF
      Sister Ed

      BTW I don't "follow" anime/manga, but like the art style.
      Great for facial expressions - ever seen a disgusted look on
      a giant panda's face? I sorta consider it a "side dish" in
      life. (Goes great with ramen noodles);->
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic