2279Re: [SCA-JML] Re: No means no...?

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Dec 3, 2000
      Lord Godric.

      The -na form is something else entirely. It marks uninflected
      words with adjectival meanings. If I recall correctly, a lot
      of these are Chinese. Apparently, (and I am going to duck as
      Baron Edward is currently in graduate school and learning all
      of this stuff while all I am doing is forgetting) -na in this
      case is an inflection of -da which you will recall is an
      existential auxiliary verb. The inflection appears to be
      rentaikei which puts the verb into an adjectival form. This
      allows for Chinese adjectives which lack proper inflection to
      be used in Japanese. -no on the other hand is a joshi which is
      used to mark a noun as "possessive" or otherwise modifying.

      Note. A joshi is usually called a "particle" in English texts
      on Japanese grammar. Rentaikei is one of several possible
      inflections for inflected words. We always used Japanese terms
      in grammar discussions in courses I have taken, so I do not
      know an English term for it.

      | techie.com, msn.com |