22780Re: [SCA-JML] Zokumyo usage

  • JL Badgley
    Aug 3, 2007
      On 8/3/07, Nick starnes <vns2112@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for your input. Why do you say it "does not appear kosher"? Is this because you have never come across this being done in your research of Historical names or does it in some way break the "name making rules" I ask this because the Kind people that have responded seem to be unsure, not definitive, of the use. Just curious for my own edification why this would not work because it fits the rules. Again, thank you. Your input is most appreciated.
      >
      > Masashige

      Takeda-dono's feelings mirror my own. The initial thought "it's not
      kosher" is a gut reaction, a filtering of the subconscious based on my
      own accumulated research and reading. However, examining it:

      When I see names put together like this, I can't think of an example
      off the top of my head where the post-fix 'rou' is on the first of the
      two. I'm thinking of names like Jizaburou, or Yonjirou. It is the
      second 'number' that takes precedence. You could theoretically say
      "Ta'ichirou", but I can't recall seeing those together. "Mataichirou"
      or "Matatarou" (Lit. 'Again, 1st Son') fit the rules as I've seen
      them. Later on, the '-rou' is often dropped, so I believe 'Mataichi'
      would be acceptable, but I'm not sure when the '-rou' actually started
      to be dropped.

      With that said, there are often things that surprise me, like 'Kin'
      being a kun'yomi for a character used in nanori.

      -Ii Katsumori
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic