2263No means no...? (was Re: Monks manes)

  • lynnx@enteract.com
    Nov 30, 2000
      (so what *did* Japanese monks do to their hair anyway? ;-)

      O.k. I just *have* to ask this, it's been driving me bats,
      both modern and period.

      One of you dono types out there said
      <snip>
      > > Examples are Minamoto no Yoritomo <snip>

      How and when was the word "no" used in Japanese names, both
      In Period and
      now? Why don't:

      Koizumi Yakumo
      Oda Nobunaga
      Tokugawa Ieiasu (???sp - and pronunciation!)

      have it but

      Minamoto no Yoritomo
      and
      <slice>
      Miura no Anjin) <dice> [the Pilot of Miura]
      <julienne> (Who or what is Miura?)

      And some modern ones...
      (Effingham and Solveig, *don't look*. You Have Been Warned!)
      :-P

      "Darling no Baka"
      (assuming "darling" is a direct j/e noun to noun xlation)
      I've been told this means "my darling idiot". However
      "baka-yaro", "baka-mono" or just plain "baka" etc. don't
      seem to use "no". Huh???

      "Tenchi Muyo" Muyo xlates in my j/e dictionary to
      "uselessness", "extraneousness", etc. It gets translated to
      "No Need for Tenchi" here. Oddly enough, the stories are
      usually called "No Need For [what/whoever drops in on Tenchi
      this time] (usually weird girls with superpowers,
      surprise).

      So... so far "no" means "of", "??my", ...

      BTW, what's this "-bo" our honorable buddies

      Tajima-bo
      Mokurai-bo

      are using? (I can noodle out "san", "sama", "dono" etc.
      roughly by their context. But "-bo" has me stumped)

      O.k. baka to my corner...

      YISF
      s.e.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic