22391Re: [SCA-JML] Naming question

    May 31, 2007

      > I was wondering if there was any presidence to having karasu or any
      > bird as
      > a given name in period. I did find that it could be femanine but I
      > was
      > hoping that the name be masculine. Thank you all for your help.
      > Ashina no Karasu

      Presuming that you are male, the use of -no- is likely to be
      presumptuous. As for karasu (crow), no there is no good
      reason to expect a Japanese male to be called something
      like that. And, this is especially true of a male over the ago
      of about twelve. Most likely you should also have three names
      not two. If you really want to be "Little Raven" or something like
      that, then I suggest exploring recreating American Indians.
      Raven is a major figure in North American Indian mythology.