2213Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese name questions

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Nov 8, 2000

      I agree about the Yamanoue. Aside from its historical attestation, it
      follows a regular locative construction. As for Kemuri, while it is
      impossible to prove that anything which follows the sound system for
      a language is NOT a name, Kemuri is in the class of things which are
      unlikely to be a name. For example, Quidich and Dumbledore are
      reasonable phonetic constructions, but I would be surprised to meet
      anyone over the age of five with either of those. Borrowing from
      English Onomastics, we pretty much know when the name Wendy was
      invented. No we can not prove that it was never ever used by anyone
      before its use in literature, but we have no reason to believe that
      it was. Similarly, we have no reason to believe that Kemuri was
      used as a Japanese name.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Show all 60 messages in this topic