22125Re:Re: Umeboshi.....eh?

  • chasrmartin
    Feb 3, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

      > I'm positive that outside of 3-4 select areas in the US, that asking
      for
      > umeboshi would get you a completely blank look. Asking in anything but
      > an Asian market in those select areas will probably get you a blank
      look.

      Seriously, most any health-food grocery should have them: they're
      central to Michio Kushi's "macrobiotic" diet. Failing that, the
      Amazon ones from Eden Foods are the same brand as the health food
      store ones.

      Or, you could try my local Japanese foods store, which I've just
      discovered has an online operation now. These are *dramatically* less
      expensive.

      http://www.pacificeastwest.com/pipr.html

      I like the Nanki brand.

      > > So if I wanted an AUTHENTIC umeboshi experience, I should be
      > > doing what?
      > >
      > > Should I just get the damned things off of Amazon??? LOL :) :) :)
      > > (geez, is there nothing you cannot get off of amazon?)
      >
      > Yes. I haven't seen geisha advertised there yet, but perhaps I'm not
      > looking in the right location ;)

      The upkeep will kill you anyway.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic