22111Re: [SCA-JML] Re:Re: Umeboshi.....eh?

    Feb 3, 2007

      > I will admit that I haven't tried the chicken sashimi recipe yet.
      I don't recommend chicken sashimi in North America unless you raise
      the birds yourself. The problem with North American chickens these
      days is that they generally have salmonella. This is a comparatively
      recent problem. When I was in elementary school, raw eggs were still
      considered safe. As for plums. We had two plum trees in our back yard
      along with two apple trees and a bunch of berry vines.

      > "Apricot" is still inaccurate, but it's a

      You really have to put Japanese in front as Apricots are a different
      species as well.

      > I've never lived in an area without Japanese markets so I've not been
      > forced to that extreme yet. I have dried fish before, but I'm sure
      > there's a trick to get it rock hard like the Japanese manage to do.

      I ran across a detailed description of how to make katsuo bushi
      several years ago. Unfortunately, I don't recall where it is.
      Regardless, it is a rather involved process. Shaving is the final
      process. Before shaving, the fish looks a lot like a piece of
      wood. I have even seen one of the things hanging under the eves of a
      house.

      > My Canon Wordtank has both as a translation, as well as Shogakukan!
      > The
      > freeware JEDICT only has plum, the one I usually 'grab' when I'm on my
      > computer. (Might need to update!) Shogakukan uses plum though to
      > describe all of the derivatives like umeboshi, etc.

      This is probably a concession to early mislabeling.

      > I'm also sure that you could probably cause a national riot if you
      > made
      > a claim that only this one type of umeboshi is the real one. The other
      > 99.9% would have to hammer you. It would be as bad as some of the
      > ramen
      > wars ;)

      On the other hand, there are several places in Japan which claim to
      be the true home of Momotarou. And, there can be fairly aggressive
      regional advertising for miso.