22110Re:Re: Umeboshi.....eh?

  • James Eckman
    Feb 3, 2007
      > Posted by: "Jason Adams"
      > America has lots of very nice "200 years ago our ancestors brought
      > *this* over, look at how much *better* we've made it since then" going
      > on.

      I'm positive that outside of 3-4 select areas in the US, that asking for
      umeboshi would get you a completely blank look. Asking in anything but
      an Asian market in those select areas will probably get you a blank look.

      > So if I wanted an AUTHENTIC umeboshi experience, I should be
      > doing what?
      >
      > Should I just get the damned things off of Amazon??? LOL :) :) :)
      > (geez, is there nothing you cannot get off of amazon?)

      Yes. I haven't seen geisha advertised there yet, but perhaps I'm not
      looking in the right location ;)

      > Since amazon is better know for books, would there possibly be a
      > recipe book they might carry as well? Something with "traditional" or
      > "folk" japenese foods and the like?

      Others on the list can give you good links to historical recipes, I have
      a fairly modern book I often use;

      http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Cooking-Simple-Shizuo-Tsuji/dp/0870113992

      I will admit that I haven't tried the chicken sashimi recipe yet.

      > Posted by: "Franzi"
      > As I see it, the debate runs thus:
      >
      > anti-"plum" side: "Plum" conjures up a big, purple fruit in the mind
      > of an English-speaker.

      Growing up near the plum capital of the US, I guess I missed that
      connotation. When I go to the farmers market, sometimes I can't even
      figure out what's a plum unless they label it!

      "Apricot" is still inaccurate, but it's a
      > better translation than "plum", half-baked traditions be damned!

      Part of the problem is that ume that most of us see never one ripened! I
      think they get a ruddy golden when they do. Some of the weird plum
      varieties I've seen are kind of like that as well.

      > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! The problem with traditional translation is
      > that you are prone to getting the wrong ingredient if you go to the
      > store and try to make stuff from scratch. For example, katsuo
      > (Katsuwonus pelamis) despite anything it says on the packaging is not
      > bonito. It is actually a skipjack.

      I've never lived in an area without Japanese markets so I've not been
      forced to that extreme yet. I have dried fish before, but I'm sure
      there's a trick to get it rock hard like the Japanese manage to do.

      > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
      >
      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > 1. The same plant is often classified differently by different
      > botanists.
      > 2. For culinary purposes, there can even be significant difference
      > between different varieties
      > Now that I have shared my sources of information. Please share yours.

      My Canon Wordtank has both as a translation, as well as Shogakukan! The
      freeware JEDICT only has plum, the one I usually 'grab' when I'm on my
      computer. (Might need to update!) Shogakukan uses plum though to
      describe all of the derivatives like umeboshi, etc.

      Enough to confuse anyone.

      My cookbook also has a recipe for umeboshi which mentions as an aside
      that almost every village in Japan has a special recipe for it. I've
      also seen on NHK the farmers that put the bottles over the buds so that
      the ume are grown in the bottle! That's pretty hard core, I suggest a
      mason jar, which is appropriate for this type of liquor ;)

      I'm also sure that you could probably cause a national riot if you made
      a claim that only this one type of umeboshi is the real one. The other
      99.9% would have to hammer you. It would be as bad as some of the ramen
      wars ;)

      Jim Eckman
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic