22[SCA-JML] September is Kurosawa Month!

  • Genghis
    Sep 3, 1999

      Sumimasen! My most sincere apologies for sending this to the list in haste,
      as a splendid tribute to Akira Kurosawa is to be debuted tonight, on Turner
      Classic Movies, starting at 8 p.m., E.D.T., (5 p.m. for you "West-Coasters")
      In all, 22 movies by the famous filmmaker are to be shown every Friday night
      through September. There is more information at:
      http://tcm.turner.com/DIRECTOR_MONTH/99/09/index.htm

      Here is tonight's line-up of Akira-sensei's movies (these times are Eastern
      time) :

      8:00 PM
      Madadayo (1993)
      An aging college professor drops out of society to become a writer. Hisashi
      Igawa, Kyoko Kagawa, Tatsuo Matsumora. D: Akira Kurosawa. C 134 m.
      10:30 PM
      Sanshiro Sugata (1943)
      A young man struggles to learn the ssence of the martial arts. Ryunosuke
      Tsukigata, Akitake Kono, Shoji Kiyokawa. D: Akira Kurosawa. BW 80 m.
      12:00 AM
      Drunken Angel (1948)
      An alcoholic doctor builds a shaky friendship with a dying gangster. Takashi
      Shimura, Toshiro Mifune, Reizaburo Yamamoto. D: Akira Kurosawa. BW 102 m.
      2:00 AM
      The Hidden Fortress (1958) ***
      In medieval Japan, a samurai fights to sav a feudal lord's daughter from
      bandits. Toshiro Mifune, Misa Uehara, Ninoru Chiaki. D: Toshiro Mifune. BW
      123 m.
      4:30 AM
      The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail (1945) ***
      In medieval Japan, a feudal lord undertakes a perilous mission to put his
      brother's soul to rest. Kenjiro Okochi, Susumu Fujita, Kenichi Enomoto. D:
      Akira Kurosawa. BW 60 m.

      (***Doku's Picks!)

      If anyone would wish me to post the other dates for the month of September,
      please let me know, and I'll be more than happy to. Again, my apologies
      for not posting this to our fine list sooner.

      - Doku
      genghis@...
      genghis@...
      ICQ number 28658766