      From: Solveig Throndardottir
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2006 8:07 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Another name/mon question...

      > The term 'no' in the middle of ones name is not pretentious, for
      > most names
      > prior to the 15th century had 'no' in their name. All that it
      > means is 'of
      > the'. Such as a frenchman using 'de' in his name. Just my piece.

      Sorry, but -no- is not really a free form in names. While the joshi
      "no" does pretty much mean "of" its use in names does not work quite
      as you describe. For example, -no- is generally encountered as a
      conjunctive element between an uji name and a personal name. Also,
      "no" appears as the beginning of a number of titular elements such as
      "nokami". I suggest that you read further about this. You can read
      either "Japan's Name Culture" by Herbert Plutschow or you can read
      the various writings of Mass. Since you obviously choose to
      disbelieve me, I will not recommend my own modest pamphlet for your
      consideration. Beyond Mass and Plutschow, you can read Japanese texts
      on the subject. To be blunt, I am not the only writer in English who
      associates status with the use of conjunctive "no" in names. FInally,
      your assertion about the general use of ''no" prior to the 15th
      century appears to be counter-factual.