21794Re: [SCA-JML] Kegutsu

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Nov 13, 2006
      On 11/13/06, sekinakagawa@... <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:

      > Greetings and well met!
      > I feel that there is reason in your thoughts, and your opinion is very
      > well welcome, however, been the choice, wearing combat boot, tennis shoes,
      > waraji (which my personal believe is anyone going into the field of combat wearing
      > those is definitely a bigger man than I or insane), and wearing well built
      > (even reinforce) kegutsu, I take the kegutsu as they complement the armor.
      > But I do agree with your general point of view.

      I have to agree here. For a 'reenactment' purpose it would be more
      appropriate to have waraji (and maybe have tabi). However, I know
      some SCA kingdoms require full coverage of the foot, and waraji do
      require some time to get used to them (and time to make, remake, etc.)
      In addition, people are not running around barefoot and toughening up
      their feet as much as they used to just by daily life in Medieval
      Japan. Our modern footwear keeps our feet relatively soft.

      Thus, when if it is between kegutsu and modern shoes, I'd go with the kegutsu.