21560Re: [SCA-JML] Greetings to the List

  • Franzi
    Aug 21, 2006
      On Aug 20, 2006, at 11:08 PM, avani_pari wrote:

      > And to begin my insistent inquiring, I would like to ask if any know
      > of good books from which I might learn more of the Shirabyoshi.

      Searching on amazon.co.jp gives a couple of books with titles like
      "Women of the Heike Monogatari". (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/
      4061494244/sr=8-8/qid=1156181371/ref=sr_1_8/250-0079700-2749852?
      ie=UTF8&s=gateway)

      One website I looked at claims that Imayo songs were set to the tune
      of Etenraku (or other Gagaku music) from the early Kamakura period
      on. You can certainly get CDs of Gagaku on amazon.com.

      I found a book called "Songs to Make the Dust Dance" by Yung-Hee Kim,
      which is a translation of a collection of Imayo songs.

      It looks like you might have the most luck by finding out the names
      of the dance and music styles they favored and looking for books on
      those.

      --Franzi, who's actually reading a (totally inaccurate) historical
      manga about a Shirabyoushi right now