21448Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Greetings

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Jul 11, 2006

      >> I was under the impression that "Tenshi" is a title for the
      >> Emperor or
      >> Empress, as it translates to "Son of Heaven." Anybody have any more
      >> information?

      It's all in the kanji. The version that might look like a name 天子
      (heaven child) does indeed refer to the emperor or someone else that
      rules the kingdom (see Daijirin). Christian missionaries came up with
      neologisms to describe various things not necessarily already present
      in Japanese culture. Their word for angel is 天使 (used by heaven/
      heavenly messenger) and sounds the same (see Daijirin). However, this
      tenshi does not look like a name.

      Actual christian baptismal names were transliterations of Iberian
      names like Elizabetta (see Nihon no Joseimei). While Angel may sound
      feminine in English, I believe that it is most likely a masculine
      name in Iberian cultures. This of course does not answer whether or
      not it was actually used as a baptismal name in sixteenth century
      Japan or how it would be transliterated into the Japanese sound system.