21371Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Off topic but strange

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Jun 24 7:10 PM

      > This is much-cited, but incorrectly identified as the last British
      > cavalry charge. Churchill was indeed with the 21st Lancers at the
      > Battle of Omdurman (Sept. 2, 1898, in the Sudan--not part of the
      > South African War, colloquially known as the Boer War, which didn't
      > break out until 1899), as both a war correspondant and an active
      > officer. There was extensive horse use in the SAW, but the
      > guerrilla tactics of the Boers were could not be effectively met by
      > large-scale cavalry action, so most horse troops were used as
      > mounted infantry.

      The question is not whether or not pony soldiers mostly functioned
      as dragoons. The question is whether or not there was a cavalry
      charge. As in a mounted charge by British regulars.

      > There were other charges by British mounted units, though not
      > specifically cavalry and not at regimental strength, during the
      > Iraq rebellion (1920-1921); at Mers-el-Kebir (against the Vichy
      > French, 1940); Toungoo, Burma (against the Japanese, March, 1942);
      > and Isiolo, Kenya (vs. Mau Maus, 1953).

      Great! Now that is interesting stuff to find out. Please supply
      references. Of course one of my favorite British charges occurred
      during the Crimean War.