21370Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Off topic but strange

  • Tim McShane
    Jun 24, 2006
      > Posted by: "Barbara Nostrand" nostrand@... drnostrand
      >
      > Correct. It was Chruchill. But, it wasn't WW-I. The Arab units do not
      > count.
      > The last regular army British cavalry charge was supposed to
      > be during the Boar War.

      This is much-cited, but incorrectly identified as the last British cavalry charge. Churchill was indeed with the 21st Lancers at the Battle of Omdurman (Sept. 2, 1898, in the Sudan--not part of the South African War, colloquially known as the Boer War, which didn't break out until 1899), as both a war correspondant and an active officer. There was extensive horse use in the SAW, but the guerrilla tactics of the Boers were could not be effectively met by large-scale cavalry action, so most horse troops were used as mounted infantry.

      But, to claim Omdurman as the last regular army British cavalry charge would be to ignore the Buckinghamshire Hussars at El Mughar, Nov. 13, 1917, and the 20th Hussars at Gebze (Turkey), July 12, 1920.

      There were other charges by British mounted units, though not specifically cavalry and not at regimental strength, during the Iraq rebellion (1920-1921); at Mers-el-Kebir (against the Vichy French, 1940); Toungoo, Burma (against the Japanese, March, 1942); and Isiolo, Kenya (vs. Mau Maus, 1953).

      - Shiro