21351Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Off topic but strange

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Jun 21, 2006

      >> The last regular army British cavalry charge was supposed to
      >> be during the Boer War.
      > There were regular British Cavalry units with horses in
      > Mesopotamia, the
      > British 5th Mounted Brigade was part of the cavalry charge at
      > Beersheba?
      > in Palestine though they were behind the Australians who had to use
      > their bayonets as sabers! This area was one of the few where the
      > Western
      > allies fought mobile actions.
      The Wikipedia article (yes I know, Wikipedia is not the best source
      for things) has the British 5th mounted at the Battle of Beersheba
      (actually in Palestine not Mesopotamia) and while the Australian
      units charged and there is even a photograph of the Australian 4th
      Light Horse charging, it says nothing of the 5th mounted charging.

      As for the Poles. The Polish cavalry units were apparently fairly
      effective against the Germans during WW-II. Basically, the Polish
      cavalry units did accomplish their objectives and were not nearly as
      quixotic as people often assume that they were.