2127Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Mon and law and names oh my

  • Joshua Badgley
    Nov 1, 2000
      On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, elmar schmeisser wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Joshua Badgley <fsjlb4@a...> wrote:
      > > At the same time, the mission of the Society is geared towards
      > Western
      > > European society...
      >
      > Mission? Mission?? what "mission"? As I recall from my first intro
      > in AS3 (gods - so long ago? no wonder my bones hurt) - the idea was
      > to celebrate the ideals of sword bearing societies, and was "kinda"
      > modeled after an idealized Camelot crossed with Faierie. As was
      > written elsewhere, an armed society is a polite society - and the SCA
      > was a rebellion against the depersonalization and its consequent loss
      > of grace and elegance in the mundane world. The other old geezers
      > among us can correct me, but I don't recall any "mission"...

      Regardless of whether there was anything to begin with the Society, or at
      least parts of it, seem to claim that we are a mediaeval re-creation
      society focused on Western Europe before the 1600s. That is what it is
      being represented as. For instance, in "Life in the Current Middle
      Ages" <http://www.sca.org/sca-intro.html> it says:

      "The avowed purpose of the SCA is the study and recreation of the European
      Middle Ages, its crafts, sciences, arts, traditions, literature,
      etc. The SCA "period" is defined to be Western civilization before 1600
      AD, concentrating on the Western European High Middle Ages."

      People are advertising this to outsiders as a society dedicated to the
      study and recreation of the European Middle Ages and so I find it not at
      all surprising that, new members especially, expect to find European
      history rather than Asian.

      I agree, however, that the current society, while incorporating elements
      of re-creation and research, is still based more on this idea of the
      'Dream'. If you want to do hard core research and outfit yourself for an
      army in Mediaeval Germany with a whole army of landsknecht at your side,
      there are other organizations that are more geared towards that
      pursuit. If you want to be a part of an organization of friendly,
      similarly interested people who like to beat on you with sticks... well,
      there are some other organizations out there, but I prefer the Society,
      myself.

      I really don't mean to offend anyone, but I realize, too that this can
      raise many different feelings in people. While I think that discussing
      our place as Japanese personae or students of Japanese history in the
      Society is relevant, a large discussion on what the Society is or isn't
      might be better suited to be eventually taken off the list. I'll try to
      shut up now.

      -Godric Logan/Ii <Daredare>
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic