Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

21099Re: [SCA-JML] On the registering of Mon quick questions

Expand Messages
  • Solveig Throndardottir
    May 15, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig!

      > It seems confusing to this one to use the word
      > 'annulet' to describe all sorts of encircling shapes,
      > since the word 'annulet' is used in nanban heraldry to
      > mean a ring shape.

      Ring like things that encircle a charge group are called "wa" in
      Japanese heraldry. The problem is how the thing gets expressed in the
      Anglo-Norman hearldry of the College of Arms. One way to do it is as an
      annulet and the other is as a border. If you are thinking of the Tohei
      (I think it was) logo which has a triangle on the bottom and three
      rings arching above it, then you are thinking of a design approach
      which is not, to the best of my recollection, seen in Japan prior to
      the seventeenth century. In short, if that is what you are thinking of
      doing, then please think of something else.

      Your Humble Servant
      Solveig Throndardottir
      Amateur Scholar

      | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS, Fleur |
      | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
      | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:Solveig@... |
      | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed to |
      | the trash by my email filters. |

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic