21099Re: [SCA-JML] On the registering of Mon quick questions

    May 15, 2006

      > It seems confusing to this one to use the word
      > 'annulet' to describe all sorts of encircling shapes,
      > since the word 'annulet' is used in nanban heraldry to
      > mean a ring shape.

      Ring like things that encircle a charge group are called "wa" in
      Japanese heraldry. The problem is how the thing gets expressed in the
      Anglo-Norman hearldry of the College of Arms. One way to do it is as an
      annulet and the other is as a border. If you are thinking of the Tohei
      (I think it was) logo which has a triangle on the bottom and three
      rings arching above it, then you are thinking of a design approach
      which is not, to the best of my recollection, seen in Japan prior to
      the seventeenth century. In short, if that is what you are thinking of
      doing, then please think of something else.