21098Re: [SCA-JML] On the registering of Mon quick questions

  • Rei Shounagon
    May 14 11:46 PM
      Konnichiwa, minna-sama!

      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      >
      > > 1. When registering a mon, does it make a
      > difference if the annulet is
      > > round, square or hexagonal? Or does the word
      > annulet describe only one
      > > particular shape?
      >
      > Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on exactly what you
      > are doing and how
      > the CoA decides to treat it. If the annulet goes all
      > the way to the
      > edge, then it becomes a border and all borders of
      > the same tincture are
      > equivalent. Incidentally, while there are a few
      > examples of annulets in
      > pre-1600 kamon, they are not particularly popular
      > until after 1600.
      > Basically, it is usually better style NOT to have an
      > annulet.

      It seems confusing to this one to use the word
      'annulet' to describe all sorts of encircling shapes,
      since the word 'annulet' is used in nanban heraldry to
      mean a ring shape.

      > > 2. If the mon being registered bears an
      > unitentional resemblance to a
      > > now
      > > (presumably) defunct company can it still be
      > registered? [I discovered
      > > that
      > > something similar to the device I"m trying to get
      > registered was used
      > > by a
      > > film company in the early 60s. I can see at least
      > 4 points of
      > > difference,
      > > but this concerns me nonetheless.]
      >
      > The College of Arms does not currently compare
      > things to trademarks.
      > Your only problem might be obtrusive modernity.

      Unless it is a particularly well known trademark, you
      have no need to worry on that score.

      Rei

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic