20784Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Re: Japanese piracy

    Mar 11, 2006

      > our own desires. The club is not history as it was but as it should
      > have been. As we are tryingto do today, remember the history of
      > Japanese piracythen re-write it into something usable as a persona.

      This often repeated phrase does damage to the Society. The Society is
      not simply about making up whatever you want. I suspect that repeating
      this business about "how we wanted it to be" is one of the reasons that
      the BoD is currently considering coming up with a mission statement. Do
      we expect people to be 100% authentic? Absolutely not! Such
      authenticity is impossible. However, we do expect folks to make a good
      faith effort to ground what they do in real history. This sort of
      expectation has been around since AS single digits.

      How does this apply to recent discussions? Well, it applies to pirates.
      Some people here like the idea of pirates. Should pirates be part of
      what we do in the Society? Yes, if it is based on what really happened.
      No, if you insist upon Treasure Island in kimono.