20761Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Re: Re: Japanese piracy

    Mar 10 1:06 PM

      > Does the average American give a rat's ass about history? Unless it's
      > sports... WW2 isn't that the war with the Kaiser?
      Wasn't the war with Kaiser Wilhelm called "The Great War", "The War to
      End War", and later on WW-I ?? Not to be confused with the
      Franco-Prussian War which took place earlier, the Napoleonic Wars, the
      Crimean War, and quite a few other occasionally interesting wars. WW-I
      famously ended on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh
      month or some such thing. This was commemorated as Armistice Day.
      People would wear poppies on Armistice Day in memorial to the battles
      that took place in places "Where poppies bloom" as in the lines of the
      poem. Paff! Paff! and again Paff!

      Incidentally, I recently read a book about WW-II which occasionally
      mentioned WW-I. The author argues that the Germans won practically
      every battle in WW-I with a 1:3 casualty rate. That is, if you valued
      your life, you wanted to be on the German side of the trenches. So why
      did the Germans call it quits? Simply, a British field marshal, whose
      name I forget at the moment, calculated that even with scandalous
      British losses, the Germans would run out of troops before the British
      provided that the British mined the colonies for what was literally
      canon fodder. The British implemented this plan. British officers were
      shooting colonial soldiers who refused to "go over the top". The
      British tried the same stunt in WW-II, but Canada had deftly secured
      its own field marshall and thereby opted out of the system. However,
      Australians and New Zealanders were not quite so fortunate.