20743Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Japanese piracy

    Mar 9, 2006

      > And as for the China invasion, I know about it because my father was
      > one of the soldiers sent into china by way of Vietnam. he lived,
      > others did not.

      Are you sure that you aren't misrembering things or that your father
      isn't embellishing his war stories a tad? There wasn't a whole lot of
      US ground activity North of the DMZ during the Vietnam War. And, China
      is a long way North of the DMZ. There was a lot of bombing of the
      North, incursions into Cambodia and Laos and stuff like that.

      Here is a link for a map of Laos:

      http://media.maps.com/magellan/Images/LAOS-W1.gif

      You will notice that it parallels Vietnam. There was an incursion of US
      forces into both Laos and Cambodia during the Vietnam War. The idea was
      to interdict the Ho Chi Minh Trail. What the incursions actually
      accomplished was the collapse of both the Laotian and Cambodian
      governments. You father may have been involved in a Laos incursion and
      may have even at some point stepped foot into China, but there was
      never a militarily significant US invasion force operating in China
      during the Vietnam War. I refer you to the size of Japanese Armies
      operating in China somewhat earlier. It is extremely difficult to hide
      an army of that size as it would of necessity be larger than the total
      US troop strength in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War.