20725Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Japanese piracy

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Mar 8, 2006
      On 3/8/06, Rick Johnson <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

      > how many people constitutes an invasion? 1? 1000? 100,000? one million?
      > And as for the China invasion, I know about it because my father was one
      > of the soldiers sent into china by way of Vietnam. he lived, others did
      > not.

      Could you provide more information on what particular action you are talking
      about? I'm assuming you are talking about US support to Chiang Kai-shek and
      his Nationalist party--if that's what you mean, then it is hardly an
      invasion. At least, no more than the French invaded, assisting the
      Americans in the Revolutionary War.

      In the long run, though, I don't see that our involvement was significant
      enough to be one of the major points of WWII, but neither do I see any
      'cover up'.

      Similarly, I believe that the reason we don't see much on Japanese piracy is
      because, for the Japanese, it was not a significant influence on the major
      history of the islands. However, we do see it in Korean and Chinese history
      because it was quite pertinent to them. I don't think this has to do with
      'embarassment' so much as interest: there is still so much in Japanese yet
      to make it into English literature. On top of that, the people in Japan
      were concerned about the wars and politics that most directly affected them,
      and once again, I'm not sure that piracy was making such a big impact.

      That said, if you are really interested, I'd look into diaries and personal
      writings from the Kyushu area, as I would imagine that they would have some
      of the better resources on the more long-range pirates. Look around the
      Seto sea, too, as it seems to have had enough traffic and islands to make
      piracy viable.