20719Re: Japanese piracy

  • Murakami Yoshiatsu
    Mar 8, 2006
      Japanese piracy is not a very common subject, I must say (my SCA
      character is a Japanese pirate, so I know). I found a 20 page essay
      online that a professor did while he was a student at the University
      of Michigan. His name is Peter D. Shapinsky. It's the most in depth
      piece I've found on the subject so far. I emailed him in the hopes
      of finding out what his sources were for that essay, and I have not
      gotten a response from him yet. Of course, if I come across anything
      else, I will post it here...

      Reguards,
      Innoshima Murakami Yoshiatsu

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

      > >>Please look under Osprey's New Vanguard 61@63 Fighting Ships of
      the East (1)@(2) Japan and Kores AD 612-1639 China and southeast Asia
      202 BC-AD 1419 They give you some history of the Wako Pirates and
      japanese ship design.

      > Thank you.
      > I'll visit Amazon.com and see if the local military bookstore is
      still open.
      > I've been seeking information on both Arabic and Japanese and
      Polynesian ships for years and the info on Jpanese, especially
      Muromachi and Tokagawa is so minimal my best sources are Junks washed
      on American shores.

      > Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      > http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
      > http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
      > http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic