20702Re: [SCA-JML] Fwd: Membership requirements/pay to play

    Mar 3, 2006

      > I'm under the impression that the Non-Member Surcharge(nms) covers the
      > non-member (along with waiver) in the insurance.
      >
      > Here in Atlantia we had a 'pay for play' of $1 that was removed
      > sometime
      > last year I think (memory's fuzzy on that score). This money was
      > given at
      > the MOL table, but I don't have any idea where it went after that.

      As I recall, the kingdoms were supposed to have stopped that practice
      way back when the Society wide non-member surcharge went int. Before
      the Society Wide surcharge, some of the kingdoms were collecting a
      non-member surcharge and pocketing the money. As I also recall, the
      kingdoms are currently allowed to pocket a portion of the Society wide
      non-member surcharge. Why were the kingdoms independently inventing
      non-member surcharges. There are two reasons. 1) To try to keep up the
      number of subscribers in order maintain kingdom status. These
      independent surcharges were most often imposed by smaller kingdoms. 2)
      Common misunderstandings of what the membership fees actually pay for.

      What do the membership fees pay for? They pay for A) newsletter
      subscriptions and B) the cost of central office operations in Milpitas.
      The central office primarily processes memberships and sells
      publications. So part of Associate Membership fees is actually used as
      a subsidy for subscriptions and sale of other publications. A very
      small amount of your membership fees goes to pay for the money given to
      directors to attend meetings and money given to a very small number of
      corporate officers such as the art director for TI and the Society
      treasurer. At the time the surcharge was made universal, insurance and
      similar costs was costing a total of no more than $0.50 per person
      attending an event. As I recall, the corporate shortfall of fifteen
      years ago which justified the universal $3.00 surcharge was not caused
      by ordinary operations, but by extraordinary and unusual events
      completely removed from the kingdoms. Regardless, the effect was that
      the Society exchanged the medieval virtue of generosity for the modern
      virtue of selfishness.