20268Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese dance question

    Jan 10, 2006

      > Are there any guides to Japanese dance in the SCA time period? I'm
      > afraid I have spent hours and hours and am not getting any answers I
      > can use to try to re-create it. (Although I am providing hours of
      > entertainment simply by trying to pronounce the names of the dances...)

      What sort of dance are you looking for? I should point out that there
      is little if any evidence for social dance in premodern Japan. However,
      there are quite a few premodern dance forms to choose from. There are
      of course various folk dances associated with Obon some of which date
      to around 1600. Some of these are documented in a book published years
      ago by the Japan Tourist Bureau. The Noh theatre is centered on dance
      and was the prefered theatre of buke class. Bugaku was a dance form of
      the kuge class. There is also kagura, kowakamai, dengaku, various dance
      forms of Buddhism, the ritual "dances" (such as the tanksgiving dance)
      encountered in the monogatari literature of the Heian period, &c. I
      should point that Kabuki and Buyo are both pretty much post-period.