20242Re: [SCA-JML] Fwd: Seeking Japanese Heraldry Info/ help

    Dec 24, 2005
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! I too have a copy of Sengoku Jinmei Jiten, and
      Baron Edward is right. There are only two Suenaga. They appear to have
      been a father/son pair, and were never particularly distinguished. The
      elder Suenaga was the master of a very small castle (apparently a
      fortified temple) for a while, but not the one you wrote about.
      Further, it is somewhat unlikely that your friend's family can
      definitively trace their ancestry to this pair. You need to understand
      that the majority of Japanese family names only date to the nineteenth
      century. Although, if I were picking a family name in the nineteenth
      century, I might have invented more illustrious ancestors. If you have
      substantial research about the ancestry of this family, then please
      share it with us citing sources. Then, perhaps, someone here can be of
      greater assistance.