20241Re: [SCA-JML] Fwd: Seeking Japanese Heraldry Info/ help

    Dec 24, 2005

      Greetings from Solveig! As I wrote, while there may be a Suenaga family
      (and it really isn't all that prominent or it would have showed up in
      one of the sources I cited), it is almost certainly not a clan. You
      really have to try to understand that creation of real clans was
      controlled by the emperor after about 700 CE. A clan is a larger
      kinship group than a family and usually members of a clan have family
      names which are different from the clan name. For example, you might
      have a family name of Tanaka and belong to the Fujiwara clan. If you
      are really certain that the ancestors of the person in question
      possessed a castle, then you should try looking up the history of the
      castle in question. Another possibility is that if they were around for
      the battle of sekigahara, then you can try looking them up in
      "Sekigahara Kasen ni Manabu" which has the kamon for each of the big
      wigs which showed up for that battle. If the Suenaga were retainers of
      the Hojo, then they were most likely NOT a clan they were a family. One
      thing that can confuse you is that families often had heads. Finally,
      if you want someone to try looking up the Suenaga for you, then you
      have to give the exact kanji representation of the name as there are at
      least two common variants.