20209Re: [SCA-JML] Hitatare questions

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Dec 2, 2005
      On 12/2/05, Tim McShane <mcshanet@...> wrote:
      > Do the wrist cords of the hitatare run through loops the way a belt runs
      > through belt loops on a pair of pants?

      That is one way of doing it. Another is to slit the fabric very
      carefully at regular intervals just wide enough for the cords.

      > If so, are the loops made of the
      > same material as the hitatare, or are they the material of the wrist cords?

      The loops, if used, always seem to be the same as the hitatare--I've
      never seen solid color for the hitatare wrist cord, which you would
      see if it was the same as the cord (which should usually be some form
      of kumihimo, probably).

      > What's the proper material for the cords, and are they always white?

      Silk cords would be proper, if hard to find. You can have other
      colors, but white appears to be the main color you will find.

      > Also, does anyone have suggestions on what materials to use and how to make
      > the decorative knots over the seams on the upper part of the hitatare?

      Those knots are the same kind of cord as the sleeves, usually. To
      make the knot, you just need to do a type of figure eight--not sure
      where you could find instructions, but playing with it you could
      probably figure something out.

      > expect they're originally silk kumihimo (tough to find silk braiding 'round
      > here...); I'm sure I can find some round nylon cord, but I'd be afraid of it
      > unravelling (and can't imagine how unsightly burned ends would look in this
      > use...) Or, do the ends of the cords pass into the garment seam, and get
      > sewn up in it?

      No, they don't get sewn up into it, but there are tricks for not
      having them unravel:

      1) Tie the end in a knot. This is the easiest thing to do. Sure,
      things after the knot will unravel, but a good knot should hold for
      you.

      2) Tie a small piece of thread around the end. Basically wrap the end
      tightly for a centimeter or so, and then pull the ends together. It's
      called 'whipping', and you can see it done on rope right here:
      http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/AwhipV.html