20208Re: [SCA-JML] Paper folding for VERY personal adornment (Am I Period or Not?)

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Dec 2, 2005
      On 12/2/05, Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:
      > My X was given this book
      > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580082459/qid=1133501632/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-8159147-2546566?s=books&v=glance&n=283155by one of our very busy artisan ladies, and it claims that it (Kokigami) is
      > mentioned in the Kojiki.
      > "Several passages in the Kojiki, a book of legends dating from AD 712,
      > tell of men spending "much time with fine silks and ribbons." For the more
      > complex he could make the wrapping, the longer his wife would take to unwrap
      > "the present" and the more he would be rewarded by " the pleasure of the
      > fingers undoing."
      > So, is the book very well written satire, or is it legit?

      Well, just doing a quick online search, it appears that it is legitimate as
      far as later and modern practices go. The Kojiki chapter I'd want to look
      up--I'm wondering if that isn't just conjecture regarding normal tsutsumi
      (the art of wrapping--gifts, letters, etc.). At the same time, I wouldn't
      put it past the Japanese--look at their influences: you have sexual
      practices and rituals coming over with both Buddhism and Taoism. I would
      just wonder if it would really get so high a mention in the Kojiki.