20087Re: Re: Re: Request for L.A. Visit

  • James Eckman
    Nov 3, 2005
      sca-jml@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
      >
      >Greetings from Solveig!
      >

      >>Currently living in frigid Northern California.
      >>

      >Northern California is most definitely NOT frigid.

      It frequently gets below 70 degrees F, that's frigid ;)

      >I grew up in South Eastern Washington.

      That's unlivable!

      >Hitting Japan Town is definitely something to do in LA, but I thought that SF had a better one.

      I think that's true, Gardena and Torrance in LA are much bettera than
      either the old LA Japantown or the SF one.

      >For that matter, Moe's is the bookstore to hit in SF, Powell's the one in Portland, and Shorey's
      >used to be the one to hit in Seattle.

      If you want books on Asia in English, the Oriental Bookstore blows all
      three away on this one subject. Possibly even the Kinokuniya in Shinjuku
      as well since they don't carry used books as well as new ones. For silly
      size, go to Smith's Acres of Books in Long Beach, it is acres of books.

      Jim Eckman
      Who's not bothered by monsoon weather in Taiwan or Indonesia or 120+ in
      Phoenix.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic