19998Re: Tousando Board One Year Anniversary

  • Caroline Foster
    Oct 10, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
      wrote:

      > Greetings from Solveig! I am interested in pre-modern Japanese theatre
      > and pre-modern Japanese poetry. I'm not sure whether you consider
      > either of those particularly bardic. I am curious though. What is the
      > subject of your dissertation? Do you have a bibliography?

      Dear Solveig Throndardottir,

      Thank you for your message.

      I would certainly consider the musicality of such performances-within-
      performances as "bardic"! I do hesitate to use such a potentially
      mis-leading term, but--within the activities of the Society as such--
      it has a certain connotation about live performance, if not
      historicity. Myself, I must say I feel out of my depth when
      discussing ensemble music of no~gaku, et cetera, as in the case with
      the instrumentation within classical Japanese dramatics . . . I really
      specialize in the solo repertoire, but of course it's all fascinating!

      And thank you for your expressed curiosity in my disseration.

      My degree is--to committees at least--considered as being a
      "performance" specialty, meaning that a core element of evaluation is
      technical delivery, although of course the research element is of
      prime importance. This second(ary) aspect is evaluated through
      course-work, candidacy papers, and a sizable dissertation . . . mine
      (very much a work in progress) concentrates on the transmission of
      honkyoku, particularly the rĂ´le of the komuso~ and the Fuke sects,
      their extralegal status as medicant wanderers free of the normal
      strictures imposed by autocratic Edo central government. I'm also
      interested in the development of competing notational methodologies.

      There is a well-blazed trail on these topics already, by both western
      and eastern scholars, and I'm constantly in a state of anxiety as I
      sit and pick away under their magnificent shadows. Huge swathes of
      research is, especially in Japanese, out of print, and I live with a
      stack of yellowed photocopies, rusty staples, and crumbling file-
      folders. The sheer cumbersome quality of it all has cost me a room-
      mate or two, I think!

      Out of all this, I do have a working bibliography (if it is of
      interest, I could u/l to the appropriate section) and chapter
      outlines, which are due in a fortnight's time . . . in fact, that is
      what I should be smartening up right now, instead of indulging in the
      fun discussions here!

      And so . . .

      May all being be calm,
      -Renpu
      ---
      Caroline Foster -- PhD. Candidate (Ethnomusicology)
      Dept. of Asian Languages, University of Washington
      225 Gowen Hall, Seattle, WA 98195-3521

      aka: Mistress Kunaikyo - "Renpu" (lotus-wind)
      Barony of Madrone
      Way of Bamboo: Shakuhachi Performance Arts
      *~* o~-neko no dosari to netaru uchiwa kana *~*
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic