19993Re: [SCA-JML] Re: hitatare question

    Oct 9, 2005

      > I would actually like to do something that is a little more freeform
      > or organic maybe even called abstract by some, on the fabric.
      > Do you know of an period images that would show something like that?
      > Everything I have found so far is so formal, which I know typical
      > given the formal nature of Japanese court at the time, but I would
      > love to know if I am missing something.

      About the only thing that I can suggest is a dye pattern achieved by
      swirling black sumi or dye on the surface of water and then pulling the
      cloth through the pattern. This produces a random swirl pattern which
      does appear in the section of fabric pattern plates in Guide to
      Japanese Literature.