19978Re: hitatare question

    Oct 3, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Mara" <mnv@v...> wrote:
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
      >
      > I would actually like to do something that is a little more freeform
      > or organic maybe even called abstract by some, on the fabric.
      > Do you know of an period images that would show something like that?
      > Everything I have found so far is so formal, which I know typical
      > given the formal nature of Japanese court at the time, but I would
      > love to know if I am missing something.

      It depends on the period. I'm doing the sort of thing that would be
      appropriate for a Heian or Kamakura period courtier. By the 16th
      century, styles worn by the samurai class are quite different.

      Rent "Kagemusha" and ogle the costumes. Lots of men in really snazzy
      16th century hitatare.

      I'll take a look through my stuff when I get home and see if I can
      point you at anything else.

      Saionji
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic