19927Re: hitatare question

    Sep 27, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Mara" <mnv@v...> wrote:
      > I would like to make and decorate a hitatare and I have a few specific
      > questions.

      > I have seen overall patterns and one back centered pattern with silk
      > painting and embroidery on various "jacket" type of Japanese garb,
      > does anyone know of sites or books that would show patterns in SCA's
      > time line?

      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.html Check both the "Men's
      Garments" and "Men's outfits" sections.
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.html shows a very Heian looking
      hitatare. As a matter of fact, MY assignment for this week is to cut a
      stencil to do this to some screaming orange and red shot silk that's
      insisting it wants to be a hitatare.

      http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/samurai/htm has some pictures of a
      kataginu kamishimo that Ii Saburou Katsumori did some painting on -
      different garment, I know, but the style is a decent example of what
      would be appropriate for the 16th century.

      Have you been to this site yet? Not only are there images of
      mannequins in various period costumes, but there's a textile gallery
      that is extremely good.
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

      > Does anyone have any information of something along the
      > lines of batik work being done in Japan in this time line as well?

      http://www.kougei.or.jp/english/dyeing.html discusses Japanese resist
      dyeing techniques. Yuzen, as far as I can determine, post-dates SCA
      period. Rice paste resists and stencils, however, might be used.
      Shibori is tie dye for the obsessive compulsive.

      > I remember seeing the stencil work done by one member
      > of the group and thought there have to be more examples to inspire
      > us.

      That would be me. For those who don't know what we're talking about,
      it's at http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/fakingit.htm

      http://www.geocities.com/gurdymonkey/blank_slate.htm and http:
      www.geocities.com/sneak1.jpg show some home decor stenciling I just
      did to make this weird attic space a little weirder.

      http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/index.htm is in Japanese, however, don't
      let that intimidate you. Let the sheer number of design motifs inside
      it intimidate you! Anyway, you may find something here that might
      adapt well as a stencil.

      Feel free to contact me if you want to brainstorm.

      Saionji no Hanae, called Makiwara
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic