19802Re: [SCA-JML] Re: authentic Kimono pattern?

    Sep 8, 2005

      > Most people in the 60's and 70's drank more than they do nowadays, 100
      > years ago a bottle a day man was not an uncommon person. Is this part
      > of
      > the refinement we are missing along with lynchings, women forced to
      > stay
      > home, etc? Fashion is one of those transient things and really doesn't
      > have any real long term impact on society. Also the days of no SCA :(
      > Give me the good new days.

      I was once told that in the 19th century, the floor of the U.S. Senate
      was generously equipped with a punch bowl full of whisky. At one time,
      spittoons were common. Some nineteenth judges and other lawmen had the
      habit of taking trophies from those apprehended in some case making
      items of apparel or satchels out of body parts taken from those
      executed. (This I have seen in a museum.) In nineteenth century
      Montana, one town decided to steal the county seat from another town.
      They succeeded, and the original county seat is now a ghost town. Then
      again, there were those lovely battles between the Pinkertons and all
      sorts of other groups including, in at least one incident in Ohio if I
      recall correctly, the local constabulary.

      > Some of our Scandinavian neighbors were doing that in the late 50's,
      > welcome to the land of the Puritans.

      I know not how reliable this story of the Puritans is, but I was once
      told that the Puritans were tossed out of England for being obnoxious
      in a variety of ways including apparently demonstrating their supposed
      purity by parading around London in the buff. One thing that is pretty
      certain about New England colonists is that they did not all live in
      white houses. There are amusing cases of the boards of "historical"
      societies in Lexington and Concord forbidding their owners from
      painting their houses the colours which they were actually painted at
      the time of the revolution instead mandating that they must be painted
      "colonial white".