19801Re: authentic Kimono pattern?

  • James Eckman
    Sep 8, 2005
      > From: Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>

      >Why did we stop wearing hats? Why did we stop "dressing up" to do
      >anything?

      People dress up, just not the way your're used to.

      >You didn't see people who weren't working the land wearing
      >T-shirts in public in the 1940s and 1950s unless they were
      >counter-culture elements (e.g., James Dean). Jeans were work clothes.
      >Button down dress shirts (ties, jackets) were the social norm. Nowadays,
      >we go to the theatre in jeans and a t-shirt and flip-flops. I've seen
      >people on campus wearing what I would swear to have been pajamas.

      The concept of dress flip-flops seems like an oxymoron, but I've heard
      serious discussions about it, and of course there's always the dress
      t-shirt, the one with the pocket ;)

      >It's a sign of the coursening of society, IMHO.

      ROTFL

      >Remember "Leave it to
      >Beaver" where the June Cleaver vaccuumed and cooked in a dress and
      >pearls, and Ward wore a tie and jacket at his own dinner table? That
      >really was a societal norm. It certainly was in my home.

      Most people in the 60's and 70's drank more than they do nowadays, 100
      years ago a bottle a day man was not an uncommon person. Is this part of
      the refinement we are missing along with lynchings, women forced to stay
      home, etc? Fashion is one of those transient things and really doesn't
      have any real long term impact on society. Also the days of no SCA :(
      Give me the good new days.

      >Today, I walk around the house in sweatpants and a T-shirt, and it would
      >kill my dad to have seen it. Those clothes, in his opinion, belong on
      >the sports field or field house, not in public or as "daywear."

      Lucky I had counter culture parents then...

      > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
      >

      >Why did ties become less popular in North America?

      Because they are uncomfortable, dangerous and a pain in the ass? Just
      the opinion of the fashion god of the nerds.

      >Basically, there was
      >a bit of a trend towards simplification in costume over the centuries
      >in Japan. Further, as Baron Edward pointed out in one of his Pennsic
      >classes, lower classes tended to adopt the leisure wear of the upper
      >classes as their own formal wear.

      Tuxedos come to mind.

      >As for today, I have seen people wearing both nightwear and underwear
      >as outerwear on campus. I was very startled by the idea of people
      >wandering around their own houses naked until fairly recently.

      Some of our Scandinavian neighbors were doing that in the late 50's,
      welcome to the land of the Puritans.

      Jim Eckman
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic