19800Re: [SCA-JML] Re: authentic Kimono pattern?

    Sep 7, 2005
      Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig! June Cleaver wearing pearls while vacuming was
      a bit over the top even for the mid-50's. My mother wore a "house
      dress" which you would never ever see June Cleaver wear while vacuming
      and did not generally wear pearls while doing housework. Also, I do not
      recall my father wearing a jacket while we ate dinner although he did
      wear one to work. The big dress code revolution was pretty pervasive in
      the 60's. Men started wearing coloured shirts and even short sleaved
      shirts to work.

      As for today, I have seen people wearing both nightwear and underwear
      as outerwear on campus. I was very startled by the idea of people
      wandering around their own houses naked until fairly recently.

      All of that said, the notion that you do dress properly for things was
      well enough ingrained in my psyche that after summoning the ambulance
      which was soon to transport me unconscious to the hospital, I decided
      that I needed to change from night clothes into outside clothes. This
      led to rather unfortunate results when the rescue squad showed up.

      > Jeans were work clothes.

      Jeans were rather specialized work clothes or sportwear. Most workers
      wore rather different clothing. People were wearing jeans as sportswear
      by the 1940's or earlier. Actually one of the things that changed is
      the general disappearance of uniforms. In the days of June Cleaver,
      service station attendants, milk truck drivers, railroad engineers,
      painters, and many other occupations had distinctive uniforms.