19788Re: [SCA-JML] authentic Kimono pattern?

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Sep 6, 2005
      In a message dated 9/5/2005 7:34:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> writes:

      >...I'd say since sometime in the Heian period. Dressing without some
      >kind of pants was the height of "leisure wear" until either so
      >late in period as to be unnoticable or sometime in early Edo...

      True, if one take a look to late Edo Early Meiji period photographs, and illustrations of street sceens one can see a good number of men walking around pantless. As to them being samurai or wealthy townsmen (artisans and merchants) I am not sure because they are shown wearing only a wakizashi or no sword at all. It was supposedly a fasion of the "floating world" followers, i.e. barhoppers. :)

      -Takeda
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic