19785Re: [SCA-JML] authentic Kimono pattern?

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Sep 5, 2005
      I would say there are several issues with using monks when talking about
      pants:
      1) Monks are supposed to have removed themselves from the world. In some
      ways, you could say that 'self-respecting' shouldn't apply since they should
      have rid themselves (or be trying to) of their ego. ;)
      2) Their clothing is distinctive in its form and shape--in this case, the
      lack of pants being a primary component (perhaps due to an attempt to get a
      more 'Indian' look?). I would see it more as ceremonial wear rather than the
      clothing of choice.
      3) The robes of the monks (doufuku, houfuku, kyuutai, etc.) seem to usually
      have an attached 'skirt' of pleats around them. This could possibly be the
      replacement for hakama, allowing the garment to be fuller down towards the
      legs and feet so that it has more flexibility while moving.
      I believe, however, that it is sufficient to say that any self-respecting,
      male layman of the kuge or buke would be wearing hakama in order to be
      fully-dressed, with the possible exception of some extremely late-period
      dandies.