19783Re: [SCA-JML] authentic Kimono pattern?

    Sep 5, 2005
      Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig!

      > I'd say since sometime in the Heian period. Dressing without some kind
      > of pants was the height of "leisure wear" until either so late in
      > period
      > as to be unnoticable or sometime in early Edo. Only peasants didn't
      > wear
      > pants -- and even they tended to wear SOME kind of pants if they could.
      > Now, if you're working in the mud, an excuse might be made, but...

      Let's see. Admittedly the Heian period say members of the kuge class of
      both genders tended to wear not one, but often two sets of pants.
      However, there is a lot more out there than just kuge and buge formal
      wear. How about monks?