19676Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Mempo Question...

  • michael A
    Aug 1, 2005
      A fair question possed... i hope you'll see this as a
      fair and genuine answer,

      Why "cheat" at all?

      1.you could make a thinner steel menpo with a grill
      over it for safety. In fact it would be closer to a
      historical thickness than one made to be structual to
      an sca helm.

      2. Steel adds to the realism of the kit instead of
      detracting from it. Sure we have to make tradeoffs to
      use a japanese kit in the sca, but can't we do
      everything in our power to minmize those compromises?
      why add them unnecessarily.

      3. what is being recreated here, We aren't making a
      mask for a ball. Thus a molded leather mask doesn't
      add to the recreation of armor. A steel menpo does.

      4.As for the ease of construction, working a thinner
      ga steel into a menpo would not be that hard. Again
      creating complex shaped sca safe thickness spring
      steel is hard. Putting together a simply shaped
      thinner mild steel menpo is not.

      5. And fianlly an most importantly :)
      ......It will look ohhhhhh so much better in steel. :)

      If anyone wants/ needs to discuss how to execute it in
      steel feel free to email me privately.

      --kiyohara

      --- wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@a... wrote:
      > > If one is fighting with a Mempo behind a face
      > grill, can one
      > > conceivably cheat (choke gasp.. CHEATING?? MOI??)
      > and use a
      > > lightweight plastic instead?
      >
      > If you're going to cheat, why not cheat with
      > something a lot easier to
      > cut, form to the right shape, and dye? Wet leather
      > can be molded on a
      > form and will dry in the shape you want - mask
      > makers have been doing
      > it for centuries.
      >
      > Two sen worth from behind the kicho,
      >
      > Makiwara

      > would our lives be like without music, dance, and
      > theater?Donate or volunteer in the arts today at
      > Network for Good</a>.</font>

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic