19675Re: Mempo Question...

  • Jason Silver
    Aug 1, 2005
      Greetings!

      Some time ago (yea long time ago before I knew better LOL) I made a
      mempo that I had planned to use in a similar fashion, in some
      respects I still do, it will be a very LARGE chin strap ;).. I will
      see if I can take some pictures of the original design and post them
      here for you to see.. The Mempo is no where near acurate for history,
      again I say it was before I found this group, but it sure gives me
      idea's and it taught me a good lesson.. When designing your mempo use
      a small bit of padding between you and it, you will be much happier
      in the end. Also ensure you have some drainage holes.. I dont know
      about you but When I first started fighting I didnt have any holes
      and that was just nasty! Once made use some of the padding you used
      to help space it but leave channels and such in the foam to allow for
      air spacing, it will be a 100 times more comfortable..

      Hopefully that was some help :)

      Imakawa

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Diane Taylor <qara0@y...> wrote:
      > I do have the Menpo pattern from the Sengokudaimyo
      > Website. And I do have some scraps of leather hanging
      > around here somewhere. Hrmmmmmm....
      >
      > For me, money and time constraints are preventing me
      > from getting the proper stuff to make the armor I want
      > to. Right now, I'm wearing Scale Lamellar hardened
      > with wax. I hung scale plates off the kidney belt so
      > it sort of looks like a Quasi-Japanese set of armor,
      > heheh But that's as far as I've gotten.
      > I have a dream of blowing my friends away one year
      > when I step out onto the battlefield in full Japanese
      > armor. But that's a bit farther down the road.
      >
      > Namaste,
      > Qara
      > Thanks guys, for all the info! Mucho Much!!
      >
      > --- wodeford <wodeford@y...> wrote:
      >
      > >> If you're going to cheat, why not cheat with
      > > something a lot easier to
      > > cut, form to the right shape, and dye? Wet leather
      > > can be molded on a
      > > form and will dry in the shape you want - mask
      > > makers have been doing
      > > it for centuries.
      > >
      > > Two sen worth from behind the kicho,
      > >
      > > Makiwara