19499Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Geta

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Jun 16, 2005
      Ii dono!

      Greetings from Solveig!

      > Really, I'd never really considered that a problem, considering we are
      > all supposed to be 'noble'. I'm not sure that kegutsu would say much
      > more than that you are wealthy enough to afford them, but I'll take a
      > look and see what I can find out.

      The default degree of nobility in the Society has been rather low for a
      long time, and has, if anything, gotten lower not higher over the
      years. My general understanding is that the default level of nobility
      ca AS XI was that of the English "Gentry" that is younger sons of minor
      "lords of the manor". Basically, one step above a commoner. I recall
      somewhat vividly being rather disappointed at not being a "lady" in the
      Society, but rather some sort of riff-raff which barely made it into
      the feast hall. The basic equivalent to this sort of thing for medieval
      Japanese is in my opinion that you are a member of the buke, and your
      father may receive a salary of about 10 koku. For purposes of the Heian
      period, maybe your father can be of the tenth court rank or you might
      be one of those "strong fellows" that Farris writes about.

      Regardless. You just don't see them all of that often. You see hoards
      of people running around barefoot or wearing sandals. The boots I
      described, appear to be a bit more common as members of the gate and
      palace guards are shown wearing them. This is the sort of post that a
      soldier type out in the provinces might hope to be appointed to.