1936Re: [SCA-JML] A bunch of questions(was:Spiffy book )

    Oct 2, 2000
      Joshua Badgley wrote:

      > On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
      >
      > > Joshua Badgley wrote:
      > >

      > > > Sessha mo yomitaku gozaru yo!
      > > >

      > > "Yomitaku zonjimasu." { G } (That's just me being picky { wink })
      > >
      > Naoshite-kudasaimashite arigatou gozaimashita.
      >
      > Now, if I could ask you what the difference is and how you use the two? I
      > understand that 'gozaru' is the humble form of 'aru'. My understanding of
      > 'zonjimasu' is that it comes from the verb stem 'zonjiru', which is
      > normally used today for 'go-zonjimasu': to know.

      Very easily.

      Remember that "gozaru/de gozaru" = "de aru" = "desu."

      One doesn't say "Yomitai desu" (lit: "It's that I want to read"). One says
      "Yomitai to omou" ("I think I want to read").

      The polite form of "omou" is "zonjiru." Therefore, the classical polite form
      of "yomitai to omoimasu" is "yomitaku zonjimasu" (which is even used today in
      extremely formal occasions, like a speech at a wedding or funeral). If you
      wanted to be Classical, and extremely polite, you could also say "yomitaku
      zonjitatematsuru" or even "yomitaku zonjitatematsuri sourou."

      The big thing is, if it can't have the "de/ni," it can't have "gozaru" -- and
      "yomitaku de gozaru" is an impossible construction. The thing is, to use
      gozaru, it has to follow either a noun, or an adjective.

      "Sore wa yoroi de gozaru" = "That is an armour."
      "Katana ni gozaru" = "it's a sword (duh.)"

      "Sono yoroi wa utsukushuu gozaru" = "That armour is gorgeous." (mod. J =
      "sono yoroi wa utsukushii desu."
      "Furuu gozaru" = "It's old." (mod. J = "furui desu."

      (Note: one can now actually say "yomitai desu" or "yomitai da naa..." but
      that's when you're talking to yourself, or being VERY informal, like talking
      to your dad when he brings home a copy of Playbushi. { g } )

      (BTW, gozaru isn't the *humble* form of aru/ari; it's the *honorific* form of
      aru/ari. )