1924Re: [SCA-JML] Nebutas and historical referrences

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Oct 2, 2000

      The nebuta festivals are held in Tohoku region especially around Niigata.
      As I recall, the nebuta are more like gigantic lanterns than paper mache
      sculptures. According to Daijirin, they are associated with the Tanabata
      festival. Daijirin confirms that they are indeed gigantic lanterns and
      that the figures can be humans, animals, fans, &c. Incidentally, the
      nebuta floats are stored throughout the year in special houses. I have
      visited one or more of these houses although I was never in town at the
      same time as one of the nebuta festivals. You could try contacting
      the Niigata municipal government or simply contacting the cultural
      attache at your local Japanese consulate. I believe that they are made
      somewhat like other lanterns with wooden ribbing inside with coloured
      paper glued to the outside. Today they probably use electric lights,
      but in times past they would have used oil lamps or candles.

      | techie.com, msn.com |